The studies on Your Baby Can Read (YBCR) are consistent – babies, toddlers, and preschoolers who frequently use the program learn reading skills. Infants and children also learn vocabulary skills after consistently using YBCR. Additionally, when researchers tested babies on overall cognition, the babies who used the program performed significantly better than a same-socio-economic status control group. Parents who have used the program generally state they “like” or “love” YBCR.
Some highlights from the studies:
- When babies who had used YBCR for about 7 months for about an hour a day were tested by teams of researchers, the babies who had used YBCR scored significantly higher than a same-socio-economic status control group who had not used YBCR on measures of language and cognition: receptive language, expressive language, overall language abilities, and overall cognitive abilities. See the summary of studies 10-11. You’ll notice that these are not small differences.
- On the PSL-4 overall language test, only 15% of the babies who consistently used YBCR for at least 7 months ranked “average”. The other 85% of YBCR babies were in the “high average” (36.4%), “superior” (33.3%), or “very superior” (15.2%) ranges. On the same test, 76% of a same-socio-economic status control group ranked “average”, “low average” (12%), “high average” (9%), and “superior” (3%) ranges. None of the control group babies were in the “very superior” range.
- Even on tests of overall cognitive ability (evaluating concept formation, memory, problem solving, object relatedness and other general thinking abilities), babies who had used the YBCR program consistently for at least 7 months scored significantly higher than a same-socio-economic status control group. Tests show that 3% of the control group babies scored in the “extremely low” range, 13% in the “borderline” range, 31% in “low average,” 50% in the “average” range, and 3% in the “high average” range. In contrast, 45% of the babies in the YBCR group were in the “average” range, 19% in the “high average” range, 23% in the “superior” range, and 13% in the “very superior” range. The YBCR babies consistently scored high marks and outperformed their same-socio-economic status control babies who had not used YBCR.
- When combining three studies (with more than 750 parents in total), more than 90% of parents said that YBCR “helped significantly” or “helped more than any other activity” and none said that it hurt their child’s ability to read.
14 Studies on YBCR: